Monday, March 31, 2008

Yesterday's Washington Post Opinion Piece

Yesterday, I did not want to read the Opinion piece in the Washington Post* by Michael Sean Winters. But like the person who is drawn to the scene of an accident, I was too. And realized that I shouldn't have.

I read it a couple of times and spent about 45 minutes writing some comments about it. But then again, I just decided that I had wasted enough time and effort attempting to comment upon someone who makes a living criticizing the Church's stand on homosexual priests, etc. The piece was really just a chance for him to help get some publicity on his upcoming book.

*I did not include the link on purpose. It was bad enough I had to waste time on it, why should you.

Update:

I was surfing the web (thanks to The Cafeteria is Closed) and found this quote, which I think really blows Michael Sean Winters whole premise out of the water:

“I cannot fail to note with gratitude the importance which the United States has attributed to interreligious and intercultural dialogue as a positive force for peacemaking. The Holy See is convinced of the great spiritual potential represented by such dialogue, particularly with regard to the promotion of nonviolence and the rejection of ideologies which manipulate and disfigure religion for political purposes, and justify violence in the name of God. The American people’s historic appreciation of the role of religion in shaping public discourse and in shedding light on the inherent moral dimension of social issues…” [Benedict XVI, February 29, 2008]

(The quote was seen on http://benedictinamerica.blogspot.com/)

No comments: