Monday, February 2, 2009

The Archbishop's Appeal has begun in earnest...

Well, with the 2008 Archbishop's Appeal over (more was raised than expected, so I have to congratulates those who ran the campaign), the 2009 Appeal has gotten underway.

We have heard for the last two to three weeks, intentions made during the Prayers of the Faithful that each of us think carefully about the Appeal. I have received my letter from the Archbishop Wuerl. And, I have heard it in the pulpit during announcements.

This year's theme is For the Glory of God but when you open up the brochure (in English and Spanish, of course), the headline reads: BRINGING HOPE. CHANGING LIVES. How Obamamania is that?

The brochure goes on to show the different ways the donations are spent: Spanish Center, Anchor Mental Health, Kennedy Institute, and Catholic education. It even highlights a Mr. & Mrs. Jim Quinn, who have been givers to the Appeal since 1970.

However, I will not give.

There are a number of reasons why but the most fundamental to me is the fact that we continue to let pro-abortion, anti-true marriage politicians continue to receive Holy Communion on our parishes, but say/do nothing. To me, that is the our current scandal.

Our clergy and religious celebrate the election of a pro-abortion politicians, or praise them when they have died.

We have anti-Church groups meeting on a regular basis in our parishes.

When pro-gay legislation is passed, our Archbishop remains silent.

Therefore, I will not give.

I urge you not to give.

I do urge you to take that money and give it to a good Catholic charity, maybe directly to your local Catholic school or a religious order that follows the teaching of the Magesterium.

That is what I intend to do.

If you feel the same, let me know. And, if you wish, you can even name the group that will get your funds.

If you don't agree with me, you can let me know too. You are always welcome to post here.

5 comments:

Mr Flapatap said...

Forgot to mention that the official Archdiocese's Spanish language periodical, "El Pregonero" carried an editorial about Obama's inauguration titled: "Mision Cumplida!" ("Mission Accomplished!")

Anonymous said...

I think you are making a mistake regarding the Archbishop's Appeal. I think it is a good idea to give money for the work of the Church. If we did not support their work along with the parishes all we would have is malcontents like you to rely on to promote the Gospel. Sadly, the Church is over run with all talk and no action Catholics like you. Hopefully, you use birth control and have not multiplied. It would be a sin of course, but not having more people like you roaming the earth would be God's way of writing straight with crooked lines.

A WASHINGTONDC CATHOLIC said...

Actually, Anon, you must not have read my article completely because it says:

"I do urge you to take that money and give it to a good Catholic charity, maybe directly to your local Catholic school or a religious order that follows the teaching of the Magesterium.

That is what I intend to do."

So, before you criticize me, please open your eyes and read carefully.

Katherine said...

For what it is worth, there are a number of us progressive Catholics who do not give because of our complaints from the opposite direction.

Dymphna said...

I'm not giving.