Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Daughters of St. Paul

The Catholic Campaign for Human Development (CCHD) as it currently stands is ineffective and in many instances, supports organizations which do not necessarily support Catholic teaching. It must be shut down and reorganized. Please boycott the CCHD. Read more here.


+++++++++++++++++

The Catholic Standard has a nice article (print only) about St. Luisa Yvonne Ielonimo, a Daughter of St. Paul. Sr. Luisa staffs their bookstore in Alexandria, VA. If you have not been there, you should go. They have a nice selection of materials.

However, when I think of the Daughters of St. Paul, I think back to when I was a child (yes, I was one once). I must have been about three or four when there was a knock at the door. My mother opened it and there were two sisters (not the ones I remember seeing in my Church), each carrying a large black case, similar to the one lawyers carry when they go to court. They talked to my mom and opened the bags to show her some books. Unfortunately, I don’t remember much more of the visit.

However, it seems that my mother did buy two books, one of which I still have to this day. I won’t throw it out.

Here are a couple of scanned pages. Enjoy.






2 comments:

Sr. Marianne Lorraine Trouve said...

Thank you for your tribute to our work! Yes, for years many sisters went from door to door to evangelize people with the Gospel through Catholic publications.
It was often a difficult work. Many times we were met with rejection and even hostility. But more often people were accepting of our mission and took advantage of the opportunity to get some good Catholic reading. Our Founder, Blessed James Alberione, wrote of our mission: "An apostle is one who bears God in her own soul and radiates God to those around her.... This is a heart that loves God and souls so intently that it can no longer confine within itself what it feels and thinks." We Daughters of St. Paul pray for the grace to live up to this great calling!

A WASHINGTONDC CATHOLIC said...

You are very welcome.

The Srs. have always done good work. It is my pleasure to relive a memory and to congratulate you on your good work.