Thursday, January 3, 2008

Borders are not absolute?

According to the Maryland Catholic Conference (MCC) governments do not have the absolute right to regulate borders.

Huh? Did I misunderstand something here? Are they saying that the US government (and all governments) do not have the absolute right to regulate who can come into a country?

Yep, those folks at the MCC have taken a section of the Catholic Catechism (1910-1911) and interpreted it to say that.

After reading that section I don't know how they got that...actually, I do.

It is because they are part of the Casa of Maryland crowd who believe that we should look the other way on the illegal alien issue.* To look the other way on those who have broken the law to come into the US.

Therefore, one way to bolster their argument is to say that governments do not have the absolute right to maintain control of their borders.

If you don't have the absolute right (according to their interpretation) then you don't have the right to deport them. If you don't have the right to deport them, then you don't have the right to deny them a free education. If you don't have the right to deny them a free education, then you don't have the right to...well, you get the point.

Folks, I wish I was making this stuff up but I am not.

Personally, I think that Archbishop Wuerl has some serious house cleaning to do at the MCC, starting with the Executive Director, Richard Dowling.

*Note that I do not use the PC term "undocumented immigrants" as the MCC does. If you have broken the law, then what you have done is "illegal." I guess, according to the MCC speak, pedophiles should probably be called "Adults who love children in a carnal manner."

No comments: