Thursday, February 28, 2008

An Open Letter to Sr. Mary Ann Walsh

I was wondering if the United States Catholic Conference of Bishops (USCCB) would respond to Joe Feuerherd’s article in the Washington Post, or if it would be up to the hundreds of bloggers by myself to defend the Church.

Then, I saw on another blog that there was a response. I was excited. I was elated.

I went to the Washington Post on-line, and read your response. I read it twice. I printed it out and took it home with me and read it again.

Let’s just say that the excitement and elation were not quite my feelings after I read your letter.

Why?

First, and I don’t know how many times I and many others must say it, we are not anti-immigrant. We are anti-illegal immigrant. If you come to this country by completing the proper paperwork, paying the necessary fees, I know of no-one (with the exception of the Klan) who will not welcome you into the country.

However, what really deflated that excitement and elation was the following line:

That this is especially curious given that the U.S. government is building a fence along our southern border to keep out brown people – not along the northern border, where whites reside.

So, Sr. Walsh, let me ask you a question:

Most illegal aliens enter the United States through which border? The North or the South?

Now, this is not a trick question and you have a 50-50 chance of getting it right.

(Jeopardy theme begins to play.)

Times up! If your answer is: “What is the southern border?” Then you are correct.

Now, if most people enter the US illegally through the southern border, would it not make the most sense to build the fence at the southern border? It’s kinda like saying that we will build a levee near the river to protect a town when it floods, instead of in the middle of Death Valley.

But what this points out is something that is much more sinister and that I have believed since the start of this debate: That the USCCB, like the Maryland Catholic Conference (MCC), is willing to accuse those of us who believe that illegal aliens should be prosecuted for breaking our federal laws of RACISM. And, you will do it by innuendo.

No, you don't want to dirty yourselves by saying it outright, because it will show up that your arguments are based on emotion, so you do what all those who cannot argue the facts – you throw out the race card.

I expect this sort of statement from Al or Jesse but not the Director of Media Relations for the USCCB.

All I can say is: SHAME ON YOU and the USCCB.

3 comments:

John said...

I believe the USCCB is in full agreement with the Holy See on this issue.

I for one, fully support the USCCB, which I firmly believe is what Jesus would expect us to do.

Politically, we must work to make legal immigration easier, and grant amnesty to those who have families and roots here in the United States.

A WASHINGTONDC CATHOLIC said...

John:

The point of my blog is that calling those who oppose illegal aliens "racist" is wrong and below what I expect of the USCCB.

John said...

You're right, there is no need for that.