Monday, September 28, 2009

Catholic Standard Weekly Update

Once again, I have been delayed in getting out my review of the Catholic Standard. Simply too many things to do and not enough time, but here is a brief review.

First, congratulations to the Our Lady of Mercy and Holy Redeemer Elementary Schools! They have been named a Blue Ribbon School by the US Department of Education. They are two out of 50 non-public schools. Congratulations. We should be shouting this from the mountaintop!!

The daughter of St. Gianna Beretta Molla is featured in a CNS article but also discusses St. Gianna's life.

I believe that we are now seeing the third article on the religious education program (new standards) in the Diocese. It is currently tested in ten schools and ten parishes. There seems to be an increase in social justice in this program. I hope that this does not turn out to be more of what we have seen with CCHD and the failure of the social justice crowd to support DC Opportunity Scholarships. I know we will see more information on this in the future.

We continue with series of articles on Health Care Reform. As always, they are pushing for Universal Health care. As I have asked before, will this cover everything, and if health care is a right, then what are our obligations? If I drink a six pack of beer every night for thirty years, and my liver goes, does this mean I get a liver transplant for free?

A story appears on Henry Gibson, the Laugh-In star. I remember him on the show in the late 60s as he played a flower child, and the old man who would hit on young women. I am really not certain why this was a full page story in the Standard. The only reason was that he was a friend of Cardinal John Foley and did some fund raising for the Church in the Holy Land. Maybe they needed some filler space.

The St. Mary's Chapel has been rebuild in St. Mary's City and received a front page photo.

There are also stories on the burial at Arlington of Fr. Branch, installation of Fr. Fangmeyer, 50th Anniversary of St. Bartholomew's and Becca's Run, among others.

No comments: