Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Honoring John Sweeney...

This week's Catholic Standard contains a story on the most recent Medal of Freedom recipients, who are Catholic.

It seems that John Sweeney, the AFL-CIO president for 14 years, was honored. According to the Catholic News Agency article, he and his wife are both parishioners of Church of the Little Flower (Bethesda) and have "actively supported the work of Catholic Charities, including serving as the chairs of Catholic Charities' annual gala."

I don't know the man but I do remember him well from my days when I was an AFL-CIO member. (And I am not proud of that fact either.)

I really find it appalling, that the head of the AFL-CIO, who spend millions, upon millions of dollars helping to elect pro-abortion and pro-gay politicians was allowed to be the chair of these charities.

I find it appalling that the Cardinal honored this man, on Sept. 2, 2009 when Mr. Sweeney received an honorary degree from Georgetown.

I find it appalling that the Catholic Standard would have this article, which shows Mr. Sweeney in such a positive light. I thought we had gotten past reporting on these stories.

Maybe if Mr. Sweeney had not funnelled as much money into elections, and more into pension funds, that we would not be facing gay marriage in Maryland, and that union pension funds would be in better health.

No comments: