Thursday, March 10, 2011

The US: A Welfare State

I recently read an article which states that 1/3 of the US is receiving some sort of "handout" from the government - Social Security, Medicare, unemployment, etc.

Now I know that a number of you will take me to task on Social Security, saying that people have paid into it, but in reality, it is really a Ponzi scheme. Let's admit it. There is no money in the system. There is no ALGORE lock box. It has been raided to pay for other things.

This got me to thinking (which can be dangerous), that if this is the case, it says that we are doing something radically wrong with some, if not all of these programs.

This lead me to further thinking about the statement of the Social Justice Directors of the Catholic Church (and the USCCB). Their latest message was not to cut any social program but to increase them.

To me, this is a recipe for disaster, since the Social Justice crowd just wants to keep doing the same old, same old.

Maybe it is time to look at wiping out some of these programs, just like CCHD.

What do you think?

No comments: