Thursday, November 11, 2010

The Latin Mass

Last Sunday, I finally got up early and attended the 8am Latin Mass at Old St. John's in Silver Spring, MD.

This was my second time, so I still cannot make a judgement on whether this is for me or not, but I do intend to attend a couple more times.

The small church was fairly crowded. I would estimate about 150 to 175 people. A number of families were in attendance and everyone was well dressed. Many of the women wore mantillas (in fact, they seem to have some you can borrow at the entrance of the Church).

A couple of observations. If you are a regular attendee of this Mass, please do not take any as criticisms but as a way of helping people like myself better understand and learn.



  • I could not hear the priest at all (I probably should sit in the front). As someone who is not familiar w/ The Latin Mass, I had a hard time following where the priest was. I really wanted to follow along and read the prayers as they were being said. So, suggestion...a little louder please...if possible.

  • The prayers are beautiful. My Latin is very poor (okay, almost non-existent) but the translations show the beauty of the prayers. Wow. They really put most of the stuff we hear today to shame.

  • There was no chatting among the congregation. At the Masses I regularly attend, there is always some chatting by someone going on. I was really impressed.

Too bad it it not offered at more than a few places in this Archdiocese.

If you are interested in attending this Sunday (8am), here is the information:

9700 Rosensteel Avenue

Silver Spring, Maryland 20910

Coffee and donuts are served afterwards in the basement of the rectory house next door.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
BOYCOTT THE CCHD COLLECTION LATER THIS MONTH!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Offertory and Canon of the mass are intended to be said in a barely auditable voice. Some places that you can find where the priest is:

After the Offertory and before the Secret the priest turns to the people and says in a loud voice Orate Fratres (Pray Brethren),

You should be able to recognize the Preface dialog,

After the Sanctus, the Canon begins. Look for:

A bell rung at the Hanc Igitur,

The consecration will be recognizable,

After that, look for the only loud words of the canon, Nobis Quoque Peccatoribus (To us also Thy sinful servants).

Hope this Helps.

Jim Ryon

Anonymous said...

There's also a 9 am at St. Mary's on 5th and H, NW.

And they have a 5 pm every 2nd Sunday of the month.

...

PS The priest should not be inaudible during the Kyrie, Gloria, Collects, readings, Sanctus, and Agnus Dei.

God bless Father for offering the Mass, but he may need a refresher.