Monday, January 21, 2008

Deacon Dan Stallings

In December, Deacon Dan Stallings of St. John the Evangelist Catholic Church was arrested and charged with incest. This despicable act took place in the late 1960's and early 1970's, before he became a deacon.

The moment this was discovered, he was immediately removed from the ministry.

This week, a letter was sent out to all members of the Parish informing them that Deacon Stallings was again arrested and charged for an incident of sexual misconduct in 1998. This took place during his ministry as a deacon.

This is not a case that someone knew something and then moved him to another place, only to do it again, and again. At this point, there is no evidence that anyone knew anything.

This is a terrible time for the people of that parish. It is a terrible time for the clergy and staff. It is even worse for the children/young adults he may have done this to.

It is a time to think about what we can do better.

It is a time for prayer.

It is a time for forgiveness, but that may only come with time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Forgiveness can only be given if their is an admission of wrongdoing. This man has not learned "a thing". He has been so nasty to his family because his dirty little sscret was exposed. He must be punished for he hurt so many people so deeply.

Anonymous said...

I was a member of that parish when I was growing up. I know Mr. Stallings but I can't say I know him well at all. Further, I don't know the ins-and-outs of this story or his relationship with his family.

I seriously question the timing of these charges. Anytime charges are brought so long after the incident - after memories fade and potential witnesses (for either side) disappear or die - I think it is fundamentally unfair to the defendant. I know his stepdaughter only brought the charges after her mom died, ostensibly to avoid hurting her, but what if the charges were untrue and her mother could have refuted them? Perhaps there is infighting over family money or an inheritance? Like I said, the timing causes me concern.