Wednesday, July 28, 2010

The Census Follow-up

A few weeks ago, I heard a knock at the door.

I opened it and found a man, in his 30's, who identified himself as a census worker (and showed me his badge). He stated he was there to conduct a follow-up.

I explained to him, in a rather annoyed voice, that I sent in my census form with the appropriate information.

He again explained that he was there for a follow-up.

He asked me for my name, since he wanted to verify the information on the form.

I gave him the number of people living at this residence.

He again asked for my name. I told him that all he needs to know is that there were X number of people living at this residence.

He then asked to verify my phone number. I repeated the number of people living at the residence and then closed the door on him.

I guess the US Census was not satisfied with the fact that I gave them just the number of people who live with me and that they were of the human race.

I wonder what would have happened if I told them I had 13 illegal aliens living with me, in a one bathroom, three bedroom house? I probably would have gotten a fruit basket with an offer of help from both Casa of Maryland and the Maryland Catholic Conference.

No comments: