Monday, August 21, 2023

The Forgotten from Fr. Michael's Newsletter

 

I looked out the side window and this same big and strong man who had a major scar on his forehead asked me for one dollar. Now, even at 7-11 one cannot buy any product for only $1.00. None at all. Before he came knocking on my window, I had looked him over and figured he was working and probably truly in need.

So, when he came beside my truck I already had a ten dollar bill folded up in my right hand. And so, in the few minutes we spoke, I learned that God had yet again, sent forth another stranger, another beggar and another reminder that this stranger, like all people, is my brother. Do I really believe that I am my brother’s keeper? How do you answer this question? How do you live out this question? How do you put your faith into action?

This man told me he is a hard working and reliable jack of many trades but a master at none. He does drywall, painting, landscaping and other types of work. But he is not fully employed daily. It is all hit and miss! When he works a full day he can make $150.00. And sometimes when he works a full day, the contractor refuses to pay him at all. And he is stuck!

After listening, I again asked him how much money he really needed and again he said $1.00. I told him to take care of himself and especially his body and mind, and to stay away from alcohol, drugs and even cigarettes. 

If you want to read the rest of the story, click here.

If you want to subscribe to Fr. Michael's Newletter, click here.

BTW, Fr. Michael is a priest in the Archdiocese of Washington. 

No comments: