Wednesday, April 7, 2010

US Census and Catholic Churches

Over the last few weeks, I have noticed in a couple of Catholic Churches have hung up posters on the Census. Now, these posters are not inside of the Church itself but are usually on the announcement boards in the community room or some other location. The posters usually ask people to complete the census, since we need to get our fair share of $$.

First, I thought that there was a separation of Church and State. Why is the Federal government asking churches to put them up? Why are we cooperating?

Second, I thought that the census was about counting how many people in the US and where they lived. I did not realize that GREED was the motivating factor and that our Catholic churches were getting right in line with one of the seven deadly sins.

On a side note...I did complete the census and answered only the first question: How many are living at my address on April 1, 2010.

However, I did decide to have a little fun with them. On the question of race, I wrote: "HUMAN."

Did you complete it? All of it, or just the number of residents?

2 comments:

Mr Flapatap said...

I didn't have much fun with it this year because they fixed the race question. Being of Spanish descent (not latino), I had no viable option last time since it classified Spaniards the same as, say, Bolivians. Under the argument that Spain was at some point in time part of the Roman Empire I classified myself and my family as "Roman-Americans"

Anonymous said...

I don't get the big deal about the census. It counts how many people there are. Isn't a census part of the greatest story ever told?

There is a separation of Church and state, but not a complete wall. Our Church serves as a location for voting, we refer parishioners to government services and sometimes have speakers from local government on issues and opportunities (i.e. someone from housing or food security.)

I think Churches were asked to spread the word about the census because they are a trusted source and its a great way to get the word out.