Monday, October 18, 2010

Repost: Non-Catholic "Spiritualization" and St. Rose of Lima

Update: Last week I commented upon the Shalem Institute's series of presentations at St. Rose of Lima. It was a small blurb I picked up from the parish bulletin during one of my visits. This week, they have made a point of putting it full on the front cover.

To the person (Anon) who asked me about getting Dr. Timoney's or Msgr. D's side of the story, I will publish any note they may send me. I will publish it as is -- no alterations or changes. To my knowledge they have not adequately explained why they are doing this and why they are allowing Episcopalian priests (male and female), a nun who is not only practices but teaches Zen Buddhism, Presbyterians and Quakers to speak to Catholics about spirituality in a Catholic facility. If you want to do it, do it off site.

Also, I am not certain how what I have posted is gossip. This event was posted in the parish bulletin, was it not? The information on the speakers is accurate and can be found on the Shalem's Institute website. So what is gossip? That I offered my opinion? I think you may be attempting to sow the seeds of discord in Catholic unity.


Finally, I say to Anon, if I has written privately to them, do you really think that they would listen? I doubt it very much.

+++++++++++++++++++

I thought that it was enough that St. Rose had VOTF but now I am really wondering what they are doing with the support of the Archdiocese.It seems that the Dr. Susan Timoney, of the Archdiocese Secretariat for Pastoral Ministry and Social Concerns is hosting an series of "bringing spritiuality into relationships" by the Shalem Institute.Now, whenever I see such things, it really starts to set off the "something just doesn't seeem right" gut feeling. Now, the Shalem Institute and the members may be nice people and may be right for certain organizations but I am not so certain about Catholics "hosting" this.According to the advertisement:

Faith-full Listening:
A Series on Spiritual Friendship, explores the relationship between prayerful listening to God and nurturing spiritual friendship with others. The emphasis will be on informal, spontaneous spiritual friendships rather than on the formal ministry of spiritual direction.When you look at the Shalem Institute, it is a Christian but not Catholic. It talks usually of spiritual but not Jesus and the Holy Spirit. It's presenters are mostly not Catholic. (You mean, the Archdiocese and St. Rose could not find any Catholic speakers on the topic?)So, here are the speakers:



  • Tilden Edwards: Episcopal Priest
  • Rose Mary Dougherty, SSND (School Sisters of Notre Dame) is a sensei (teacher) in the lineage of the White Plum Asanga (zen buddhism), she teaches Zen meditation in various settings and assists people in integrating contemplative presence and just action in their lives. (Now that should raise some eyebrows.)
  • Carole Crumley: Episcopal Priest
  • Ann Dean: Minister in the ecumenical community of the Church of the Saviour since 1994 and is a member of the Dayspring Retreat Mission Group
  • Patience Robbins: I don't have much information on her, but she will lead talk at the Hyattsville Mennonite Church about on "Earth Mystic" Julia Butterfly Hill - an American activist and environmentalist best known for living in a 180-foot roughly 1500-year-old California Redwood for 738 days.
  • Leah Rampy: Ordained Elder and Deacon at the Lewinsville Presbyterian Church.
  • Bill Dietrich: Quaker
  • Liz Ward: Spiritual director at Virginia Theological Seminary (Episcopal Church) and an elected member of the Commission on Ministry and a discernment facilitator for the Diocese of Virginia.



So, I have some questions:

  • Why is the Archdiocese spending $$ on presentations by non-Catholics on spirituality, esp. with what I call a questionable Catholic nun. I know that there is a fee for this, but there are always behind the scenes expenses.
  • Why is this being done at a Catholic Church.
  • Are their no Catholics who can do a presentation like this, using Catholic teachings?
  • Why does Dr. Susan Timoney still have this position with the Archdiocese, when she helps to support and present things which are not in the Roman Catholic tradition?

2 comments:

Restore-DC-Catholicism said...

My fellow blogger, you are not "gossiping". When ideas and announcements are put forth in the public square, it is perfectly acceptable to discuss said ideas and announcements in a public fashion.
Furthermore, the attempt to use the "if your brother sins against you" passage to silence you is itself very ignorant or disingenuous. In the older translations, the "you" was rendered as "thee". That is not flowery language; it is the second person singular that has fallen out of current usage of the English language. Thus, the passage speaks entirely of personal matters, not public matters.
Both of these tactics are drawn upon by progressives to silence us. I congratulate you for calling them out.

Anonymous said...

I am just exhausted in this parish. I need a new one... any suggestions for where we can go to find a Mass said my a priest who is faithful to the magisterium. Not latin! Just a regular Mass. A faithful community. I am serious. I really need some suggestions.

It is getting out of hand at St Rose.