Tuesday, October 26, 2010

SOLD - John Paul II Cultural Center (Update)

Capping years of drama over the future of Washington's Pope John Paul II Cultural Center, late tonight the Michigan-based Dominican Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist, announced that they had inked an agreement to buy the property for use as a house of studies.

For more, read Whispers in the Loggia for the full story.

Update (Nov. 10, 2010): Altough there is an agreement to sell the property to the Dominican Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist, this sale is pending the outcome of the inspection process. It is my understanding that the process should be completed sometime in December. I hope that this clarifies the current situation and apologize if it has mislead anyone.

PS: I have not forgotten about VOTF at St. Rose of Lima...see the story below.

2 comments:

Dymphna said...

Thank goodness.

A WASHINGTONDC CATHOLIC said...

In some ways, I am sad to see it go. I visited there about two years ago, and I was really moved by the section on JPII and our Jewish brothers and sisters.

The photo of him greeting the Chief Rabbi of Rome is a wonderful photo of two men, who both respect one another, and were overjoyed that one has visted the other...like a long lost relation.

Also, his childhood friend and the woman he carried out of the concentration camp.

I think the intent was there but it was not an easy place to get to.

However, I am happy that the Dominican sisters will use it..and use it wisely.