Saturday, November 14, 2020

The Angry Catholic Podcast

 

I wanted to share with you a podcast that I regularly listen to: The Angry Catholic.

Now, I don't listen to a lot of podcasts, especially ones more than ten or fifteen minutes in length, but I do listen to this one.


The show is focuses on the goings on in the Church in the US.  

It is broken up into four segments: An Introduction and three 15 to 20 minute segments.  Sometimes they all focus on the same theme/topic, and sometimes, the segments will focus on different topics.  I will say that each week I do learn something from the podcast. 

How did it come about?   According to Paul:  

Twice in two different dioceses, my sons were put in direct contact with priests who had abused children and the Bishops knew.  The McCarrick revelation and the release of the Pa Grand Jury report make me ANGRY and there needs to be an outlet to discuss the issues in a public format. I have spoken with many different people about the current situation in the Church, and I found people either didn’t know about, didn’t care, or thought that the abuse scandal was from long ago.

I have seen nothing so far to make me believe that most of the bishops are taking this situation seriously enough. Our bishop sent a DVD to each parish about the scandal.  The presentation was so offensive, filled with “Bishop Speak” and sounded like it was written by an overpaid PR firm.  My family and I literally got up and walked out a third of the way through the DVD presentation.  I was outraged that our bishop tried to protect himself and said nothing about his involvement in the scandal.  He can behave this way because we allow it.  He thinks that there is no one to hold him accountable for his actions.  If the laity continues to go to Mass, stay quiet, and send money to him, why would he have any reason to think otherwise.

I no longer trust that our bishops will protect their flock.  I strongly feel that it is the Bishops of the United States’ responsibility to come clean and be truthful if there is any hope of regaining that trust with the laity.  I have seen nothing to date that would make me believe that they are serious about being truthful with us. Leaders in the Church that are not truthful and forthright should not be allowed to continue in their positions.  We cannot wait for our bishops to wait out the storm.  We need to demand that they right the ship.

If you have a tip or know of something that is happening in your diocese, especially with clergy who are being railroaded by their bishop or maybe some sort of corruption, please drop them a line: mail@TheAngryCatholic.com


No comments: