Monday, November 23, 2020

The Deacon Project - Arch. of Washington (Part One)

Over the last few months, I have spent a great deal of time on TWITTER.  

I swore that I would not, but I did.  I have sinned.

While on TWITTER, you could not help to notice a number of trends. 

Now, for those of you on TWITTER, the trends are not simply what people are hash-tagging, but who says what and how they respond to them.

For a while, there were a number of priests who came out against Joe Biden and were attacked for it. Some of these were posts on TWITTER and some were postings from homilies on YouTube.

Of those who attacked/criticized these priests:

  • Some accused these priests of suffering anxiety and or depression due to the COVID aka Wuhan Virus lock down.  
  • Some accused them of playing politics. 
  • Some accused them of not looking at "the seamless cloth" of social justice issues.  

The question is: Who conducted the attacks/criticism?

  • Many were just regular pew sitters.  Catholics like you and me.
  • Some were laity, who are actively involved in the Church.  Some paid by Catholic organizations, others who make their living dealing with various Church issues.
  • Some were folks that were probably/most likely not Catholic, but decided to have their say. 
  • Some are well known figures in the Catholic Church.

However, there were two groups that surprised me.  

The first group were Catholic "journalists and media" types.  And I will touch more about that in another posting, much later. 

The second group which really surprised me were Catholic Deacons.  Some were mildly critical, some were very sharp but veiled in their attacks/criticism.

Again, some of these were well known and some were not.  And so that lead me to decide to take upon myself what I like to call:

The Deacon Project

To be continued...

   

No comments: